WHAT IS THE MATTHEW 25:40 PROJECT DOING FOR THE HOMELESS NOW?
~If we give the homeless a hand up rather than a hand out,
they may eventually not need us anymore~
- We are their friends, their mentors, someone who will listen and treat them like real children of God.
- We are assisting the homeless in recovering identification - Social Security cards, birth certificates, drivers' licenses, school records - so they have proper identification to become gainfully employed and receive needed benefits.
- We are sending select individuals and couples through a 12-week program which teaches them life skills to learn how to make correct choices, determine priorities, and interact with others.
- Upon completion of the above program, these individuals and couples (and families) qualify for a special grant that allows us to locate affordable housing in Garland and assist them with deposits and rent.
- Upon completion of the above program, we provide mentors for a period of one year to work with these individuals and couples to ensure their continued success.
- We assist individuals in locating employment.
- We have formed a committee to explore building a transitional tiny house community to help our homeless have a safe and healthy place to live as they transition to the next phase of their lives.
- We assist families and the seriously ill with temporary housing while we work with them to locate more permanent housing.
- We are completing grant applications in the hopes of obtaining federal, state, local and private grant money to help our homeless find affordable housing.
- We direct our homeless to locations which provide meals, clothing, shelter, and showers.
- We work with those who suffer from alcohol/drug addictions to get them into treatment plans that will truly assist them in breaking their addictions, while mentoring them along the way.
- We provide Sunday church services and Thursday Bible study.
- We sponsor a GLOWS overnight warming station for our homeless to get them out of severe weather conditions.